This cake is every chocolate lover’s dream: Kinder, Maltesers, Green & Blacks, Twirl.
There is a little bit of everything.
Chocolate sponge (Delia’s Melting Chocolate Pudding recipe, as used previously)
– 400 g dark chocolate ( I have used Green & Black’s 70%)
– 400 g unsalted butter
– 220 g caster sugar
– 8 eggs and 8 egg yolks
– 3 tsp vanilla extract
– 120g plain flour
– 500 g mascarpone
– 300 ml double cream
– 200 g Kinder chocolate
– 50 g Cadbury’s Twirl
– 30 g butter
– 2 tbsp powdered sugar
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 3 packs chocolate fingers
– 1 pack Maltesers
1. Break the chocolate into small pieces and cut up the butter into cubes. Melt the two in a bowl above simmering water (low heat), stirring occasionally.
2. While the chocolate melts, place the eggs, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract into a large bowl and whisk until the mixture doubles in size.
3. When the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and leave it a few minutes to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/ 400°F.
5. Pour the chocolate over the egg mixture and sift the flour over the top. Mix everything together gently and thoroughly, using a large metal spoon and being very careful not to leave any “flour bubbles”.
6. Grease two 23cm cake tins lightly with butter and separate the batter evenly between the tins.
7. Bake for 25-30 mins. When done (toothpick test), remove from the oven and leave to cool.
1. Again, break the chocolate into small pieces and melt along with the butter in a bowl above simmering water. Stir the chocolate occasionally until it has melted, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
2. Place the melted chocolate, mascarpone, powdered sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl and whisk together until creamy.
3. Add the double cream and continue whisking until a “ribbon” forms. Be careful not to over-whip the cream as it will become grainy and stiff.
4. Leave the chocolate filling in the fridge while the sponges cool.
Assembling the cake
1. Move one of the sponges onto a plate and cover with about half of the chocolate cream. Place the second sponge on top.
2. With the remainder of the chocolate cream, cover the whole cake, keeping the surface smooth with a palette knife.
3. The chocolate fingers should stick nicely to the cream. The 3 packs will provide the exact amount needed, without leaving any gaps.
4. Add the Maltesers and sprinkle with powdered sugar.